Saturday, December 8, 2012

Journalist’s home set a blaze.





Kabale, 8th/December/2012;
Unknown assailants have set on fire Robert Muhereza’s home using a combustible liquid. He is the second journalist in the same district to be attacked in a period of one and a half years after Goodluck Musinguzi a New Vision journalist.

Muhereza, a correspondent for the Daily Monitor from Kabale district, Western Uganda told Human Rights Network for Journalists-Uganda (HRNJ-Uganda) that the fire attack happened in the early hours of 8th/December/2012.

HRNJ-Uganda has learnt that the assailants jumped over a 10 meter high perimeter wall opposite the area police station to attack a family of four.

“At 3am, I heard someone outside at my house’s main door and woke up. I also woke up my wife and upon peeping through the bedroom window, I saw someone with a plastic bottle pouring some liquid stuff at my door steps. I raised the alarm and the assailant dressed like a man quickly started fire before taking off.  Neighbors came to my rescue but found when the fire had burnt a curtain and part of the main door.  I stay near the police but by the time someone gets the courage to attack me he/she behind it must be serious. I fear for my life and my family because anytime anything is bound to happen again” Said, Muhereza.

He said he hadn’t been involved in anything critical apart from his previous reporting about events at Uganda-Congo boarder resulting from the fighting between M23 rebels and DR. Congo forces.

The Regional Police Commander for Kigezi Region Olivia Wabwire confirmed the incident and said one suspect has been arrested and exhibits have been recovered at the scene. She said investigations are still on-going.

For More Information Contact;
Human Rights Network for Journalists-Uganda (HRNJ-Uganda)
Kivebulaya Road Mengo Kampala Opp. St. Marcelino Pre. School
P.O.BOX. 71314 Clock Tower Kampala. Tel: +256-414-272934 / +256-414-667627
E-mail: news@hrnjuganda.org / humanrajournalists@yahoo.co.uk / Website: Www.hrnjuganda.org; BLOG: http://hrnjuganda.blogpost.com

No comments:

Post a Comment